We are now offering Physical Rehabilitation services to the clients of Emeryville Animal Hospital.
It is available, as advised by our Doctors, to the following patients:
- Patients who have recently had a long term cast or sling removed
- Patients who have recently undergone orthopedic surgery
- Patients suffering from arthritis
- Patients suffering from, or suspected of having, Degenerative Myelopathy
- Any patients that may benefit from an increase in movement
- Physical rehabilitation uses a variety of techniques to improve muscle use and joint mobility, as well as stimulating the nervous system.
Each patient will undergo an initial assessment, where we will measure the patient’s range of motion, muscle size, and analyze their posture and walk. These will be recorded to monitor progress. At this time we will complete the first therapy session and review the home exercise program.
Therapy sessions will be done in clinic once weekly, with the progress being assessed in the third week. The home exercise portion is an important component of your pet’s program and is designed to meet your individual needs.
The duration of therapy is approximately six weeks, depending on the medical condition and progress of your pet.